Shreveport, LA—The story of how two students at a prestigious Dunbar High School in Louisiana were gunned down during a shooting spree on Saturday is one of the deadliest mass shootings in American history.
As the story unfolded, it became clear to me that the tragedy of the shooting was not the tragedy that the media portrays it to be.
The reality of what transpired is that three students and two adults were killed in what police are still investigating as a single act of terrorism.
I was shocked to hear the news of the tragedy.
A video posted to Twitter by a local CBS affiliate showed the school’s principal, Scott DeMarco, and his deputy telling a reporter to leave the building because he was “on a call.”
“It was one of those calls that I’ve been getting all day, where the principal is telling us to leave, so he’s telling us we can’t be there.
It was a call that was made and he was told by law enforcement to leave,” DeMarco told the reporter.
“I’m not going to sit here and pretend that this is not what happened.
The tragedy of this school shooting is that two people were killed,” he added.
After the shooting, DeMarco tweeted: “I’m here to tell you that the Dunbar School district is devastated.
We will learn from this tragedy.”
A source told The Daily Beast that DeMarco was fired from his position in April, the same month that the shooting took place.
According to DeMarco’s social media posts, he was suspended from the Dunbartons’ football team, but this was denied by the school.
While a number of schools in the city are on lockdown following the shooting on Saturday, DeMarcus told The Associated Press that the school had been on lockdown since Thursday.
DeMarco said he was also told by the students who were on the team that they were not allowed to talk to one another, even though they were still alive.
“[The students] didn’t know how they were supposed to get to the locker room or the showers or anything,” DeMarcus said.
At a press conference on Saturday afternoon, Dunbarton Mayor Mark Stumpf said there was a “shocking and tragic scene” and a “massive and tragic loss of life.”
“[It’s] heartbreaking, it’s very, very hard,” he said.
Stumpf also called the shooting a “horrible tragedy” and “unprecedented” and pledged that he will provide assistance to those impacted by the attack. “
I am praying for the families of the deceased, we’re praying for all of the students and for the school community.”
Stumpf also called the shooting a “horrible tragedy” and “unprecedented” and pledged that he will provide assistance to those impacted by the attack.
Stumped also thanked the Dunbras’ staff for their “sacrifice, courage and selflessness,” adding that the city is “truly blessed to have such a supportive community.”
“As a nation, we must unite and come together as one,” he continued.
“We must take care of one another and work together to create a safe community.”
While the shooting appears to be a lone-wolf attack, police have said that the incident is being treated as a terrorist attack, which means that the gunman may have been linked to ISIS.
Authorities have not confirmed whether or not the suspect is connected to ISIS or any other terrorist organization.
Several local news outlets have identified the gunman as a black male between the ages of 18 and 24, but they have yet to confirm his identity or provide further details about his motivations.
Shawnee County Sheriff’s spokesman Michael Boudreau told the Associated Press on Saturday that authorities believe the shooter was motivated by religious hatred, although there are no reports of the suspect being affiliated with ISIS.
Boudreau said authorities have determined that the shooter is not connected to any known ISIS cells or terror organizations, but he added that they are investigating the shooter’s motives.
Boudauer said authorities do not believe that the shooters motives are related to any of the terrorist groups and said there is no indication that they have any connection to other local or national organizations.
Police also have not announced whether they have identified any suspects in the shooting.
A number of Dunbar students have taken to social media to describe their reactions after learning of the incident, including one student who told reporters that she was so moved by the incident that she had tears in her eyes.
Another student said he had not yet been able to go to class for several days.
“I can’t believe it,” said one student, who did not want to be identified.
“There’s nothing else I can say.
It’s really just been hard.”
As news of what took place spread on social media, the school system issued a statement saying that the administration was “shocked and devastated